Friday, January 24, 2014

Do I Now Need to Wear Skinny Jeans?

After a while of hemming and hawing about the purchase and asking for the recommendations of a number of friends/relatives I bit the bullet yesterday and purchased myself a turntable.  Not a record player--oh, no you uncouth heathen...a TURNTABLE.  And no, not like a turntable to be used for scratching and DJing...a turntable for listening to vinyl.  Yes, vinyl, not records...

I say this all tongue in cheek of course as I am now fully on board with this accoutrement of aspiring hipsterdom.  I purchased the Orbit Audio Basic turntable for a number of reasons, foremost being its low cost yet extremely high ratings and reputation amongst the vinyl/audiophile community.  Additionally, it is extremely upgradable as well so that if this becomes a solid hobby of mine I can continue to improve it soundcasting capabilities with replacements to its platter, arm, needle, etc.  Unfortunately because Orbit is such a small, hands on company assembling these joy-to-the-ear devices in Boston, it will be at least a month wait before mine is delivered...

Still, I can right away start wandering in my hipster-shabby clothing to the local fleamarket, Goodwill or garage sale and come back holding some obscure, supercool vinyl that has now been saved from the rubbish heap...My black skinny jeans and giant plastic glasses are on order...

Orbit Basic Turntable...

No comments: