Thursday, September 6, 2012

What Fix-A-Flat Looks Like Afterwards...

So I went and replaced the tires on my lovely 2002 Toyota Camry.  In one of the tires I had injected "Fix-A-Flat" when it had developed a slow leak.  That was about a year ago.  In theory you should use FAF only as a short term solution and then replace the tire but I was too cheap and hey...it held air after that injection and there was no need to then change the tire.

In disposing of the tires (I can save $12 from the tire mounting location by disposing of them myself as my town accepts used tires at no charge) I noticed what the FAF had turned into inside the tire.  While the Slime substance I had previously injected into my racing truck tires had remained a liquid and happened to spray all over Keith at Dube's Customs when he went to change a tire the FAF substance turns solid, into an almost crystalline substance that dries and just slides around the inside of the tire.  This makes it easier for the tire to be swapped--or at least cleaner.  I found it interesting that the shape and substance of the dry FAF ended up the way it do.  Call me simple....

No comments: