Saturday, May 30, 2009

What the Inside of Your Diff Should NOT Look Like...

So I'm taking apart my '00 Nissan Xterra due to its recent failure to be shifted into 4WD.  I am going to be replacing the front and rear diffs (going to 4.9 gearing from 4.6) and also replacing the transfer case and going to one from a '98 Pathfinder which is a bit stronger than the stock Xterra version.  I believe this is what they call a catastrophic failure....the truck had 133K miles on it, of which about 10K-15K was done in 4WD.  I had NO idea that this had occurred as it ran in 4WD just fine all winter and I was in the process of doing some mild exploring.  I just went to throw the truck into 4WD and there was nothing there...just acts like it was in neutral and wouldn't send power to the front or rear...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suprised you blew up a R200, they are usually pretty reliable, unlike the R180