Sunday, April 11, 2010

Orient Watches...


I have worn a watch on my left wrist every day of my life since the second grade when I wore a Snoopy Aviator watch on which the second hand was a cloud that would go round and round and round. Maybe its an old school thing as my father taught me at a young age that a man should always be able to tell what time it is on his own without having to ask anyone, and should be able to provide the answer to anyone in need...

Nowadays nearly everyone has a cell phone and uses those as a substitute...a poor substitute...

Do you really need to annoy everyone by dragging out your pretentious cell phone yet again? Do we need to see whatever moronic background it is that currently graces the nearly laptop sized screen on your IPhone V9.5?? No.

A watch is, after a wedding ring, the most telling piece of jewelery (and some would say should be the only other piece of jewelery) a man owns. Far beyond a cell phone a watch can convey your sense of style, social status, weekend hobbies--or just be a really good way to attract female attention. Look at it this way...every goober and his nose picking junior high friend has a smart phone...very few men have a good looking, classy, quality timepiece...

I'm married (very happily I might add) and for me I just wanted a watch that would replace my older Swiss Army Cavalry watch which had worn out its leather and fabric band over the past decade and seen better days due to numerous run ins with rocks, dirt and auto parts. I also wanted something to more accurately reflect my current and likely near future employment position...My old watch just didn't fit where I am in life and needed something new.

The Orient Watch Diver model fit the bill. Simple, classic yet solid and not likely to go unnoticed, it is perfect for me. It carries a heft to let you know its a serious timepiece and not a cheap throwaway, yet it doesn't break the bank and looks far more expensive than it actually is. I'll be wearing this stainless steel beauty for years to come.

2 comments:

08Sentra said...

Completely agree with you on this, with the watch being an important piece of wear. I always enjoyed having a watch with me growing up all through out school, and even better knowing that I was pretty much the only one with a fully analog watch. Everyone else had digital ones.

Unfortunately, I've been the case to not wear one during my college years so far and have relied on my cell phone too much. Yet, just recently found my old watch and plan to replace the battery and strap to get back in the habit.

spalind (Dan Spalinger) said...

Yeah, a number of my friends have just said "I have a cell, I don't need a watch".

You can also cut a piece of paper with a butter knife but you look a lot smarter by using a pair of scissors...

Please become an official follower of the blog on the right side of the page and thanks for tagging along!!